Bloodgood, Don E. | Purdue University Libraries, Archives and Special Collections
Don E. Bloodgood (1903-1985) civil engineer, professor, author, editor, and administrator was born on February 1, 1903 in Elkhorn, Wisconsin to Erwin and Anna Bloodgood. The family owned and operated Peck’s Station country store and a small adjoining farm. He earned a BS in Civil Engineering in 1926 and a CE degree in 1935 from the University of Wisconsin, Madison. After graduating in 1926 he started his career as a research chemist with the Milwaukee Sewage Commission until 1929. His work included routine laboratory testing in the monitoring of the sewage treatment operation, water surveys of Lake Michigan and the Milwaukee Harbor, and public relations. He then worked as a research chemist and civil engineer for the Indianapolis Sanitary District. By 1936 he was the superintendent of the Indianapolis Sanitary District. He remained in that position until 1943. After his arrival in Indianapolis he became a prolific author of technical papers.
In 1943, Bloodgood was invited to join the Purdue University faculty by Professor R. B. Wiley as an associate professor. He was given the task of developing a sanitary engineering program that would make Purdue a world leader in that field. He was promoted to full professor in 1947 for his efforts. As part of his extension work he published the Sanitary Engineering Newsletter (later renamed the Environmental Engineering News) from 1943 until 1971 and he was the first editor of the serial Industrial Wastes which began in 1955. Bloodgood started the Purdue Industrial Waste Conference 1944. For the first year it was known as the Industrial Waste Utilization Conference. His intention was to bring together academia, industry, government, and the engineering profession to study issues surrounding industrial waste management. Bloodgood edited the Proceedings of the conference (Proceedings of the Industrial Waste Utilization Conference, v.1 (1944); Proceedings of the Industrial Waste Conference, v. 2- v. 50 (1995). The conference ceased in 1997.
Active in professional societies, Bloodgood served as president of the Central States Sewage Works Association, founder and first president of the Indiana Water Pollution Control Association (now known as the Indiana Water Environment Association), and served as a direct-at-large for the Water Pollution Control Federation (since 1991 the Water Environment Federation). He also served as president of the Indiana Section of the American Society of Civil Engineers and was on the advisory committee of the Ohio River Valley Water Sanitation Commission.
In 1945, he was appointed to the Indiana State Board of Health and continued in that position until 1979. In this capacity he helped institute and implement regulations concerned with pollution control, as well as nutrition, nursing homes, and sanitary engineering.
He was also active in the community through his involvements with the Kiwanis International, Boy Scouts, and as a hospital volunteer. For his public service he was twice named a Sagamore-of-the-Wabash by governors of Indiana.