Indiana Poetry Society | Purdue University Libraries, Archives and Special Collections
The Indiana Poetry Society was organized as the Indianapolis Poetry Club in October, 1921, by Mrs. Eletha Mae Taylor. Other charter members were Miss Sue Howe, Mrs. Carl Lieber, Mrs. Cora Young Wiles, Mrs. Walter Flandorf, Mrs. Frances Morrison Rabb, Miss Maybelle Chitwood, Mrs. Josephine Duke Motley, Miss Lucille Ballard, Mrs. Carrie Hunt Latta and Miss June Winona Snyder.
This group met each month in the homes of the members while enlisting the interest of others. The organization grew until its membership included more than 250 persons.
In 1927 following affiliation with the General Federation of Women’s Clubs, the name was changed to the Indiana Poetry Society. Mrs. Taylor served as the only president. She was also a representative to the American Literary Association.
Officers besides Mrs. Taylor, were Edna Denham Raymond, first vice president; Carrie Abbott Guio, second vice president; Mrs. Ollah P. Toph, third vice-president; Margaret Ann Boyd, secretary; June Winona Snyder, corresponding secretary; Lola F. Echard, treasurer, and Mrs. John Robert Craig, fourth vice-president.
The society, which grew out of a meeting at the home of Meredith Nicholson, had a number of members whose literary work was published. Mrs. Taylor compiled an anthology of Hoosier poetry, and a book comprised of 200 of her own poems. Mrs. Raymond was the author of three volumes. Miss Snyder published a small volume in 1928. Miss Chitwood and her brother, William Hankins Chitwood were also authors. Mrs. Alice Fernold Emerson, representative of the Mitre Press, London, published a small volume. Poems of Mrs. Margaret Bruner were included in anthologies