Helmich, Melvin J. | Purdue University Libraries, Archives and Special Collections
Melvin J. Helmich was born in Richmond, Indiana on September 29, 1924. He entered Purdue University in 1942 and joined the U.S. Army Reserves. He was called to service in May 1943. Helmich's service career was spent in "C" Battery, (105mm guns), 925th Field Artillery Battalion in the 100th Infantry Division, located in the European Theatre of Operations. He returned to Purdue in 1946 after working the summer on the Pennsylvania Railraod, upon discharge from the Army.
Entering Purdue in the Fall of 1946 he obtained living quarters at the Oliver Perkins Terry House at 608 Waldron Street. This facility was adjunct to Cary Hall. The house was operated as a fraternity and Mrs. Goddard was the housemother. He lived there until his graduation in 1949.
Helmich was one of the last engineers to graduate from Purdue majoring in Railway Mechanical Engineering. He accepted a job offer with Cooper-Bessemer in July 1949 and went to work in their Locomotive and Marine Engine Department. He became head of the locomotive program in 1951 and was active in it until 1960. Helmich held numerous positions within the company and retired in 1991.