Haskins, George W. (1892-) | Purdue University Libraries, Archives and Special Collections
George W. Haskins was born March 11, 1892. He received his Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering from Purdue University in 1916, and served in the United States Air Service from 1917-1922. He was involved with Drying Systems in Chicago from 1924-1929 and was a "Representative" there. Haskins joined the Purdue faculty on September 1, 1929 and was an Associate Professor of Aeronautical Engineering. He left Purdue June 30, 1937 to return to the Air Corps. He later served on the Civil Aeronautics Board
Professor George W. Haskins, the same Lieutenant Haskins who had flown to Purdue in 1919 from Dayton, returned in 1929 as an Associate Professor. He taught the aeronautical engineering courses, which were still offered as technical electives in mechanical engineering. An aeronautics laboratory was well established by this time in Heavilon Hall. It was equipped with a fully assembled airplane and operating engines, along with wind tunnels for aerodynamic measurements.
Several other aviation related developments occurred on campus during this period. In 1930 Purdue became the first U.S. university to offer college credit for flight training, and it opened the nation's first college-owned airport in 1934. President Elliott was later responsible for bringing Amelia Earhart to Purdue as a "Counselor on Careers for Women," a staff position she held from 1935 until her disappearance in 1937. Purdue was also instrumental in providing funds for Earhart's ill-fated "Flying Laboratory," the Lockheed Electra which she intended to fly around the world in 1937. The University library houses an extensive Earhart collection, which continues to be studied by those seeking to solve the mystery surrounding her final flight.
Professor Haskins returned to the Air Corps in 1937, and later joined the Civil Aeronautics Board. He was succeeded by three key individuals who continued to expand the aeronautical engineering program at Purdue. Professors Karl D. Wood and Joseph Liston joined the faculty in September of 1937, and Professor Elmer F. Bruhn joined the school in January of 1941.