By David Hovde and Mary A. Sego
Primary Creator: Hippensteel, Benjamin F.
Extent: 3.65 Cubic feet. More info below.
Date Acquired: 06/07/2007
Access Restrictions: Collection is open for research.
Acquisition Method: Donation received from Gary Hippensteel (great-great-nephew) on June 7, 2007.
Related Materials: MSA 34, Ross Hippensteel papers
Preferred Citation: MSP 53, Benjamin F. Hippensteel Collection, Archives and Special Collections, Purdue University Libraries
Processing Information: All materials have been housed in polyester sleeves, acid-free folders, and acid-free boxes.
1. Automotive receipts, 1930-1949 [from: Alison Bell, Diehl Motor Service, Lake-Ringo Motor Company, Moore & Poff (Grover Moore, Moore & Shafer), Motor Sales Company]
2. Two utility receipts from Peru, Indiana, 1924-1938 [water, power, and gas receipts]
3. Indiana Bell Telephone Company receipts, 1930-1949
4. Wabash Valley Trust receipts and Correspondence, 1926-1939
5. American States Insurance Company policy, identification card and receipts, 1931-1932
6. Miscellaneous Receipts, Peru, Indiana, 1924-1938 [George N. Bender & Son, Murphy Furniture Company, National Security Fire Insurance Company, Spencer Dry Goods, Weeks Coal Company, and numerous other single receipts]
7. Pay receipts, 1937-1951 [3.25x7.5 inch cards]
8. Railroad Retirement Board financial documents, 1938-1943, 1946, 1948, 1951 [Certificates of Service Months and Wages, 3.25x7.5 inch cards;
Railroad Retirement Board post card; Application for Employee Annuity, June 20, 1951
9. Income and real estate tax documents, 1924-1951 [various forms and receipts]
10. Miscellaneous objects, undated [two eye glass cases with glasses; one coin purse containing: two watch chains, one tie clasp, one tie tack engraved with a BH, one highly worn gold signet ring, one U.S. Army collar pin, lapel pin “5 Years Continuous Membership BLF&E”; one pearl handled manicure set in leather case; one metal belt buckle with enameled American flag; cigarette lighter in the shape of a bowling pin; cigarette trench lighter, black and red, “C.J. Chant, Mexico Refractories Company…”; packet of calling cards, “Ross W. Hippensteel”; two 6 foot folding rulers]
11. Shaving kits and razor blades in a La Fendrich Cigars box, undated [straight razor in case; Razor “Kraut & Dohnal” and case Thistle Cutlery Company, New York City U.S.A.; five packets of razors, two Benaco, two Gem Micromatic, one, Plee-Zing; one silver single edged safety razor; one gold double edged safety razor in three pieces; two brown leather cases containing single edged safety razors “AutoStrop Safety Razor”
1. Ledger book entitled “Cash” with a few pages containing financial information and receipts pinned to the facing page, undated
Certificates of Service Months and Wages, 3.25X7.5 inch cards;
Railroad Retirement Board post card;
Application for Employee Annuity, June 20, 1951