By Mary A. Sego
Extent: 4.8 Cubic feet. More info below.
1. Scrapbook, 1971-1973 (0.25 cubic feet). The scrapbook features the Purdue Aviation Technology Flying Club. Included are a typed history of Purdue’s flying clubs, club constitution, news clippings, photographs, and souvenir program for “Tournament of Champions, 1971 National Intercollegiate Airmeet, May 11th, 12th and 13th,” 1971-1973. Many of the news clippings feature information on the Blue Angels, and Rosemary Merims, the first woman to graduate from Purdue’s Aviation Technology program and one of the first 8 females chosen for the United States Navy flight training. The material in the scrapbook remains in original order.
2. Slides, circa 1970-1982 (0.25 cubic feet). This series of slides contains approximately 570 slides; 1 package features a Starduster biplane constructed by Jim Maris (circa 1972); 7 packages of Q2 experimental aircraft and construction slides; and 1 package of slides on Ultra Lites, circa 1970-1982. The slides are housed in an archival box and remain in the labeled packages, as were received by the Archives.
3. Handbooks, Guides, Directories, Administrative Procedures and Lecture Material, circa 1970-1982 (0.4 cubic feet). Materials include an Aviation Technology Department administrative procedures manual, 1973; Professor Maris’ course outlines, lectures and notes for AT 358, Aviation History class, including lecture overheads which provide historical aircraft images, publications and handbooks on aviation careers,
4. Records of Purdue’s Aviation Technology Flying Club, 1991-1994 (0.4 cubic feet). Includes a checklist for Purdue PA-28-161, constitution, election results, flight instructor lists, flying club forms, meeting minutes, membership agreement forms, club newsletter; The Av. Tech. Flyer, operating regulations, reports, time (flight) records and logs, work credit policy and other materials that were compiled by Professor Maris while he was the club’s advisor.
5. Selected Books from Professor Maris’ Library, circa 1942-2003 (3.5 cubic feet). The books have been cataloged, with a special note that they were a gift of the Maris Family. Selections include titles focused on aviation history, pilot autobiographies, Air News yearbooks, pictorial histories of aviation and a comprehensive Time-Life series; The Epic of Flight.
Date Acquired: 10/18/2012
Subjects: Air pilots, Military, Flight Archives at Purdue University, Purdue University--Faculty, Purdue University. Aviation Technology Flying Club, Purdue University. Aviation Technology Flying Club--records, Purdue University. Department of Aviation Technology
Air pilots, Military
Flight Archives at Purdue University
Purdue University. Aviation Technology Flying Club
Purdue University. Aviation Technology Flying Club--records
Purdue University. Department of Aviation Technology
Access Restrictions: Collection is open for research.
Use Restrictions: Purdue University
Acquisition Source: Donated by the Maris family to Professor Thomas Carney, Purdue University Department of Aviation Technology.
Preferred Citation: MSF 478, James R. Maris papers, Karnes Archives and Special Collections, Purdue University Libraries
Processing Information: Whenever possible, original order of the materials has been retained. All materials have been housed in acid-free folders and acid-free boxes for preservation purposes.