By John Michael Foster
Correspondence, event programs, newspaper articles, and other materials chronicling Purdue’s Semi-Centennial celebration in May 1924. Materials in this collection trace the history of the Semi-Centennial from its planning in late 1923 and early 1924 to events held on the weekend of May 1-3, 1924, and immediate aftermath.
Scope and Contents of the Materials
The Purdue University Semi-Centennial collection (1922-1925; 2.05 cubic feet) predominantly consists of correspondence (mostly correspondence to and from President Elliott), programs and program drafts, and newspapers and newspaper articles, in addition to a modest assortment of meeting minutes, posters, announcements, invitations, financial records, photographs. These materials offer the researcher a comprehensive glimpse into the planning of the 1924 semi-centennial and the commemoration of Purdue’s early history.
Purdue University Libraries, Archives and Special Collections
Alternate Extent Statement:
5 mss. boxes
Collection is open for research.
Physical Access Note:
Newspapers and scrapbook are fragile and should be handled with care.
Records transfer, Purdue University
MSA 196, J.E. Raffensperger collection
MSP 22, William M. Hepburn papers
UA 2.06, Edward C. Elliot papers
Robert W. Topping, A Century and Beyond: The History of Purdue University, West Lafayette: Purdue University Press, 1988.
MSP 120, The Purdue University Semi-Centennial collection, Archives and Special Collections, Purdue University Libraries
All materials are housed in acid-free folders and manuscript boxes. Staples and paper clips have been removed from all documents and discarded; all photographs placed in protective sleeves. Loose newspaper articles were photocopied and the original clippings discarded.
Box and Folder Listing Browse by Box:
[Box 1: Correspondence, 1923-1925
[Box 2: Programs and Program Drafts, circa 1924
[Box 3: Newspapers and Newspaper Articles, 1924
[Box 4: Minutes, Lists, Posters, and Etc., 1922-1924, undated
[Box 5: Scrapbook, 1924
[Folder OSM 17: Congratulatory Letters
- Box 1: Correspondence, 1923-1925
- Mostly correspondence to and from President Elliott.
- Box 2: Programs and Program Drafts, circa 1924
- Programs and drafts of programs created for various Semi-Centennial events held on the weekend of May 1-3, 1924.
- Box 3: Newspapers and Newspaper Articles, 1924
- Articles from the Purdue Exponent, Lafayette Courier & Journal and other Indiana newspapers, reporting on and commemorating Purdue's semi-centennial.
- Box 4: Minutes, Lists, Posters, and Etc., 1922-1924, undated
- Minutes, lists, posters, expenditure statements, invitations, information cards, photographs, and other materials related to the Semi-Centennial
- Box 5: Scrapbook, 1924
- Scrapbook containing programs and newspaper clippings.
- Folder OSM 17: Congratulatory Letters