By Mary A. Sego
Primary Creator: Bitzer, Arthur and Mary Roberta Craig (-2009)
Extent: 2.0 Folders. More info below.
Date Acquired: 07/07/2010
Arthur G. Bitzer and Mary Roberta Craig Bitzer were members of the Purdue University Class of 1942. Arthur G. Bitzer Jr. received a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering. He was a member of Phi Kappa Tau and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. Arthur was a WWII veteran serving in the U.S. Navy. He was the founder and former owner of Bitzer Products Co. of Broadview, Illinois.
Mary Roberta Craig Bitzer received a Bachelor of Science degree in Home Economics. She was a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma, Association for Women Students and Women’s Panhellenic Council.
The Bitzers were married 66 years and had two children; Nancy Sturgeon and John Bitzer; were the grandparents of Katie, Linda, Matt and Corey; and great-grandparents of Jessica and Mia.
Access Restrictions: Collection is open for research.
Use Restrictions: Purdue University via deed of gift.
Acquisition Source: Donation received from Roberta Bitzer.
Acquisition Method: Donation
Processing Information: All photographs have been housed in polyester sleeves, acid-free folders, and acid-free boxes. The artifacts have been placed in acid-free envelopes.
Finding Aid Revision History: Revised 9/17/2012 EW
1. “Corps Day,” 1937 [cadets on open field]
2. “Corps Day,” 1937 [cadets on open field]
3. Cars on State Street, two buildings in background, circa 1938
4. University Hall, snow on ground, 1938
5. Mechanical Engineering Building, snow on ground, 1938
6. Mechanical Engineering Building, circa 1938-1942
7. Photograph with notation, “Hinricks,” “Hagins,” 1939 [two campus buildings in background]
8. Women’s Residence Hall South, circa 1938-1942 [notation “Where Roberta lived at Purdue.”]
9. “Senior parade,” 1939 [Ross Ade Stadium field and stands]
10. “Senior parade,” 1939 [Ross Ade Stadium field and stands]
11. "Senior parade,” 1939 [Ross Ade Stadium field and stands]
12. Senior parade, picture of float with banner, “She Was Only A Woodsman’s Daughter – But She ‘Wood’,” 1939
13. Entrance to Women’s Residence Hall South (?), circa 1938-1942
14. Picture of hangar at Purdue Airport, circa, 1938-1942
15. Car parked on a campus street, 1940
16. Porch scene, “Theta pinning,” circa 1940
17. “Frat guys at Theta pinning,” circa 1940
18. “Bower, Stewart, Hal – Homecoming,” October, 1938 [scene in front of fraternity]
19. “Cod, Bitz, Ed,” circa 1938-1942 [students wearing derbies on porch]
20. Students on four seat tandem bike near football field, circa 1938-1942
21. “Stinks, Ralph, Ed, Cod, Bitz, Otto, Stu,” circa 1938-1940 [students on front porch]
22. “Stinko, Bitz, Ralph, Cod, Ed, Otto, Stu,” circa 1938-1940 [students on front porch holding canes and smoking cigars]
23. Car full of students in front of fraternity, car marked “Old Timers” on side, circa 1938-1940
24. Student on high wheel bike, appears to be part of senior parade day activities on football field, circa 1939
25. Front of Civil Engineering Building, circa 1940