By Mary A. Sego, 2009
Primary Creator: Johnson, Ralph S. (1906-2010)
Extent: 14.2 Cubic feet. More info below.
The papers are arranged into five series.
[Series 1: Engineering Drawings, Papers, Articles, DVD, 1941-1948], [Series 2: Newspaper Clippings, Ceritificate, Honorary Doctorate of Engineering, 1992-2008], [Series 3: Memoirs and Biographical Information, 1941-2005], [Series 4: Photographs, ca. 1930-2005], [Series 5: Addendum - January 5, 2012],
Date Acquired: 05/09/2008
Access Restrictions: Collection is open for research.
Use Restrictions: Purdue University, per deed of gift.
Acquisition Source: Ralph S. Johnson
Acquisition Method: Donation.
Preferred Citation: MSA 25, Ralph S. Johnson papers, Archives and Special Collections, Purdue University Libraries
Finding Aid Revision History: Revised by Mary Sego, 2012; EW 10/2012
1. United Air Lines News, April 1934; November, 1934 (2 photocopied copies); February, 1935; September, 1940; December, 1940; May, 1941; August, 1944
2. Society of Automotive Engineers Transactions, volume 35, 1940
3. 50th TR C Wing Training Directive, 1942 [sections were written by Ralph Johnson]
4. Engineers in Theater Operations, reports of operations, United States Army Forces in the Far East, Southwest Pacific Area, Army Forces, Pacific, 1947
5. Documents concerning Johnson’s patents and files from his patent attorney, John E. Reilly, circa 1966-1975
6. “Patent Forms,” circa 1972
7. Johnson’s United States patent, 3,860,202; Method and Apparatus For Dispensing Granular Material From Aircraft, January 14, 1975
8. Patent information is regards to Johnson’s Map Vending Machine, 1975-1977
9. Newspaper clippings, magazine articles, and manuscripts concerning aviation history, 1976-1988 [the manuscripts are original copies and may have been written by Johnson, no notations to verify]
10. Tank Design Guide for Fire Retardant Aircraft, by D.H. Swanson and A.D. Luedecke, Honeywell, Inc., September, 1978
11. The Antiques and the Classics: A portfolio of fine aviation photographs, by William B. Bullock, © 1979 [signed by author]
12. Folder labeled, “Duplicates – Wilkinson – RALCO,” 1979-1983 [deals with a lien on a house]
13. Memory Engines, Historical Reference Handbook, The Venerable Curtiss OX-5 from the cradle of aviation, 1980
14. Correspondence from the Order of Daedalians, Ft. Warren Flight #54, F.E. Warren AFB, Wyoming, in regards to Johnson becoming an honorary member, 1982 and two issues of The Fort Warren Express, February 1984 and December 1984
15. OX5 News, Published by and for Members of the OX5 Aviation Pioneers, December, 1984 – December, 1995 [does not include all issues in the time period]
16. OX5 News, Published by and for Members of the OX5 Aviation Pioneers, February 1996 – October, 1997 [does not include all issues in the time period]
17. For the Record: Official publication of the National Aeronautic Association, May-June, 1991
18. OX5 Aviation Pioneers, 30th, 36th, 37th, 42nd annual reunions, 1985, 1991, 1992, 1997 [4 brochures listing members, some biographical information and event information]
19. OX5 Aviation Pioneers, membership roster booklet, 1992
20. 39th Annual Reunion, “Engine O-X5, This is the one that made it all possible,” Van Nuys, California, 1994
21. OX5 Aviation Pioneers and Silver Wings Fraternity of Arizona, 1993 – April 2001, includes membership rosters for 1991, 1993 and Board of Governors for 1992 [does not include every issue during this time period]
22. National Aeronautic Association, membership directory, 1997
23. 43rd Annual Reunion, San Diego, California, 1998
24. Correspondence and programs from Johnson being awarded the “Mr. OX5 Award,” 1998 and induction into the OX5 Aviation Pioneer Hall of Fame, 2000
25. OX5 News, Published by and for Members of the OX5 Aviation Pioneers, February, 2000 – October 2002 [does not include all issues in the time period]