League of Women Voters of Greater Lafayette (1920 -) | Purdue University Libraries, Archives and Special Collections
Name: League of Women Voters of Greater Lafayette (1920 -)
Historical Note: In 1920, with the passage of the Nineteenth Amendment, The National American Woman Suffrage Association reformed itself as the League of Women Voters. State organizations, including Indiana’s, generally followed this reorganization pattern and the Tippecanoe County League of Women Voters was formed in April of 1920. Although the League’s first task was teaching newly enfranchised women the mechanics of registering and voting, it has evolved into a non-partisan political organization whose purpose is to encourage the informed and active political participation of all citizens. The State League had its third annual convention in Lafayette in 1922. Ada Whittredge (Ellsworth) Stuart was the first President of the Tippecanoe County League and also served on the State board. In 1956 the county league divided into two leagues: The Lafayette League of Women Voters and the League of Women Voters of West Lafayette to better serve their individual municipalities. However, in 1962 the Leagues merged back into one entity as The League of Women Voters of Greater Lafayette. Over the years, the League has researched, debated, and advocated for a variety of local social political issues, such as environmental concerns in the Wabash watershed, parks and recreation, public utilities, welfare, youth issues, neighborhood identity, zoning decisions, and education reforms.