College of Agriculture, Department of Animal Sciences (1959-) | Purdue University Libraries, Archives and Special Collections
Name: College of Agriculture, Department of Animal Sciences (1959-)
Historical Note: Animal Sciences first appeared in the Purdue course catalog in 1959. The department was formally created from the consolidation of the Beef, Sheep, and Swine (previously Animal Husbandry), Poultry (previously Poultry Husbandry and after 1957, Poultry Science), and Dairy Production (previously Dairy Husbandry) Departments, starting in the 1962-63 academic year. Animal Science began offering an Animal Food Science option was added to the department’s curriculum in 1966 and founded the Food Science Institute three years later. Food Science remained a component of the Animal Food Science curriculum until 1985 when the former became a separate department. The same year, Animal Science began offering four plans of study: animal agribusiness, animal science, animal production, and animal products. Between 1998 and 2011, the number of bachelor degrees conferred by Animal Science increased two-fold, from 306 to 617. By 2012, the department offered a single degree with six concentrations: agribusiness, behavior/well-being, biosciences, pre-veterinary sciences, production, and products. Animal Science also administers the Animal Sciences Research and Education Center (ASREC), the Felun-Purdue Agricultural Center, and the Southern Indiana-Purdue Agricultural Center (SIPAC).
Sources: “Student Handbook for Undergraduate Programs in the Department of Animal Sciences,” 2012 http://www.ansc.purdue.edu/ugrad/StudentHandbook.pdf
Note Author: John Michael Foster