Purdue Research Foundation (1930-) | Purdue University Libraries, Archives and Special Collections
Name: Purdue Research Foundation (1930-)
Historical Note: Founded in 1930, the Purdue Research Foundation is a nonprofit organization. Through contributions, the foundation provides scholarships, graduate fellowships, faculty grants, and cost-sharing grants. The foundation also manages the Purdue Research Park and Office of Technology Commercialization. Originally envisioned by David E. Ross, the Purdue Research Foundation enables Purdue University, as a public institution, to contract and conduct research with industrial innovators and developers. Ross, together with Josiah K. Lilly of the Eli Lilly and Company, initially donated $50,000 to launch the foundation, which exists today to “manage and license Purdue’s intellectual property, accept gifts, administer trusts, acquire property, negotiate research contracts and perform other services helpful to Purdue.” Earnings from long term investments and income from gifts, rentals, and royalties, constitute the foundation’s revenue.
Purdue Research Foundation web pages, at:
Note Author: John Michael Foster