Log In | Contact Us| View Cart (0)
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Red-Crown Mini-Museum (1927-) | Purdue University Libraries, Archives and Special Collections

Name: Red-Crown Mini-Museum (1927-)


Historical Note:

The Red Crown Mini-Museum is located at the corner of 6th and South Streets in downtown Lafayette, Indiana.  It is right next to Tippecanoe County Library.

The gas station was built by Standard Oil Company of Indiana in 1927-28 and had a one garage bay attached.  It was built with glazed brick on all walls and red tile on the roof.  In 1935-36 a second garage bay was added.  It was in operation as a gas station until 1979, in 1985 the library bought the property for a future parking area.  In 1991, Don Stein, a local business man and auto collector offered to restore the gas station, and it was finished later that year.

The interior and exterior is now filled with gas station memorabilia, mostly related to Standard and Red Crown Gasoline.  The garage bays are filled with antique cars, and in the parking lot there is a 1931 Ford tow truck.

Anyone who comes by should check in the mailbox at the front door and grab a picture postcard and information sheet on the station.

Sources: Retrieved November 4, 2010 from: http://www.oldgas.com/info/redcrown.htm





Page Generated in: 0.063 seconds (using 107 queries).
Using 2.46MB of memory. (Peak of 2.61MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-2
Copyright ©2012 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign