Log In | Contact Us| View Cart (0)
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Phi Kappa Phi | Purdue University Libraries, Archives and Special Collections

Name: Phi Kappa Phi
Fuller Form: Phi Kappa Phi. Purdue University Chapter


Historical Note:

In 1897 at the University of Maine, ten senior students, two faculty members, and the school president created an honor society that was different from the few others then in existence-one that recognized and honored excellence in all academic disciplines. Under the leadership of undergraduate student Marcus L. Urann, the group formed the Lambda Sigma Eta Society, which was later renamed Phi Kappa Phi from the initial letters of the Greek words forming its adopted motto: Let the love of learning rule humanity.

Phi Kappa Phi's mission is To recognize and promote academic excellence in all fields of higher education and to engage the community of scholars in service to others.

The Purdue University chapter was established April 26, 1971. The charter is signed by J. Kenneth Munford, president and Lawrence R. Guild, secretary, along with twenty-five installing delegates. The Purdue chapter is chapter 125.

Sources: Retrieved January 14, 2010 from http://www.phikappaphi.org/web and information taken from the charter itself.





Page Generated in: 0.062 seconds (using 107 queries).
Using 2.46MB of memory. (Peak of 2.61MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-2
Copyright ©2012 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign